We All Scream For Ice Cream!

The great ice cream experiment was a bust.

The idea seems so cool. Put ingredients into a 1 lb. coffee can. Seal it duct tape. Put the sealed can into a 3 lb. coffee can. Add ice and rock salt. Secure the lid with duct tape. Have the kids kick the can around the yard for about 20 minutes, adding more ice and salt when needed.

I must have gotten the recipe wrong because after 45 minutes all we still had was cold, thick sweet milk. I suppose it didn't help that it was 102 degrees outside. even after a few hours in the freezer, the ice cream looked like it had been sitting on the counter too long. Very yummy, but still soft.

Here is the recipe I used:
1/2 pint light cream
1 small tin condensed milk
1-2 tsp vanilla extract

I used a standard size can of sweetened condensed milk (which is 14 oz.). Maybe I should have used only half that amount of condensed milk. How much is a "small tin" anyway? I don't think the kids are anxious to try again anytime soon!

Comments

Dy said…
I'd have probably gone with heavy cream, maybe? Not sure. I think the standard can is the right size. Also, it takes *hours* in the freezer for our ice cream from a machine to finally set up and look like normal ice cream.

You know it took me ages to figure out that in my grandma's recipes, if it said "1 can Eagle Brand" that meant 1 can of eagle brand sweetened condensed milk - a little detail she never included anywhere. DH is the one who told me about that. I guess his g'ma did the same thing.

102... oy...
Dy

Popular posts from this blog

Missouri State Dinner

C is for Carnival

Weekly Report 4