Weekend Decorating Project

I've become obsessed with decorating shows. I had my wisdom teeth out a week and a half ago and I spent several days in bed watching DIY and HGTV. It was great!

This was my weekend project. I had a nasty, cheap bookcase I was using in the bathroom. The bathroom is quite small and the bookcase at least fit the space. I finally decided to go with a travel theme for the bathroom and got an idea on how I could disguise the ugly bookcase.


I sanded it and stained it. The stain didn't take like I wanted it to but it worked out in the end. I went shopping at Goodwill on their 50% off everything day and bought an old brown leather suitcase and two pillow shams. At JoAnn Fabrics I bought some upholstery tacks and three baskets (at 50% off--yay!). I cut up the suitcase and cut strips from the leather. I used the upholstery tacks to attach them to the bookcase. I used the material from the pillow shams to cover the back of the bookcase. I used decoupage glue and it seems to hold fine. My husband helped me take apart the handle so I could reattach it to the side. I printed out some pictures of vintage travel labels and decoupaged them to the sides. It was a fun project and turned something plain and boring into an interesting piece!




Comments

mshel333 said…
Okay, so that was the project! I love it! I'm getting another bookcase for the bedroom, but mine won't be as interesting as yours. Keep up the good work! Looks great!

Popular posts from this blog

Missouri State Dinner

C is for Carnival

Nebraska State Dinner