North Dakota State Dinner




I have started a new blog at https://creativeinstinct.blog/ and moved my State Dinner and information there. Come visit my new site!



Knepfla Soup
Rolls
Cucumber salad
Milk (official state beverage)
Chocolate-covered potato chips

Knepfla (or knoephla) soup comes from the German-immigrants-by-way-of-Russia that settled in North Dakota in the late 1800s. It is basically a dumpling soup with potatoes and cream. My kids loved this, even on a hot July day. My seven-year-old daughter made most of the soup herself. She chopped the vegetables, rolled and cut the knepfla and dropped it into the soup. I made a simple brioche dough in my bread machine and then baked them in the oven. We used a simple cucumber salad recipe: salted sliced cucumbers and sliced red onions in a dressing of 1 cup apple cider vinegar (heated to boiling first) and 4 tsp sugar.

Carol Widman's Candy Company in Fargo is home of the famous chocolate-covered potato chips, or Chippers as they are called. These were a bit of a challenge to make since I am allergic to sunflower oil which is in most potato chips. I opted to cover a baking sheet with plastic wrap. I poured the bag out and drizzled melted Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips on top so I didn't have to handle the chips. The kids easily broke them apart for serving later. The kids sure loved those too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missouri State Dinner

C is for Carnival

Loop Scheduling